The annual Victoria Leadership Awards (VLAs) have been honouring inspired leadership in the community since 2005. This year, we are pleased to welcome the United Way of Greater Victoria as our newest partner with a new award celebrating collaboration and partnership. We are also pleased to announce that Royal Roads University is sponsoring a new award for leadership excellence through coaching and mentoring. The two new awards complete a stable of eight award categories that recognize an incredible array of passionate and committed leaders, from youth to lifetime achievement.
Led by Leadership Victoria, the annual VLA awards are a partnership between Leadership Victoria, the University of Victoria, the Rotary Clubs of Greater Victoria, the Victoria Foundation and now, the United Way of Greater Victoria.
“The United Way has recently announced a new community investment framework and three new impact areas,” said Linda Hughes, CEO of the United Way of Greater Victoria. “The timing is perfect for us to partner with the VLAs and celebrate exemplary collaborative leadership in a way that aligns with our values and vision for the community.”
Nominations are currently being accepted for the 2012 awards ceremony. Now is the community’s chance to nominate an exemplary community hero in one of eight prestigious awards categories:
- The University of Victoria Community Leadership Awards acknowledge outstanding leadership in linking UVic and the community for greater public benefit (up to two awards per year).
- The Rotary Community Leadership Awards recognize community leaders who meet the Rotary test of the highest levels of ethical behaviour and community leadership benefit (up to two awards per year).
- The Vancity Youth Award acknowledges an emerging leader between the ages of 20 and 30 years of age who demonstrates community leadership and support for social justice, economic self-reliance or environmental responsibility within our community (one award per year).
- The Leadership Victoria Alumni Award recognizes a graduate of the Leadership Victoria program who continues to demonstrate outstanding leadership and service in the Victoria community. (one award per year)
- The Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award honours outstanding current or posthumous long-term service in community leadership roles such as philanthropy, innovation, mentoring and career achievement. (one award per year)
The Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award recognizes an organization that is building community capacity and achieving positive change. (one award per year) The United Way of Greater Victoria Award for Collaboration & Partnership recognizes an individual leader in a non-profit organization who is building community capacity by creating partnerships and collaboration (new this year) The Royal Roads University Leadership Excellence through Coaching and Mentoring Award recognizes long term and outstanding service in community leadership roles that specifically focus on coaching and/or mentoring (new this year)
VLA Chair Kate Mansell is proud of how the VLAs honour the everyday heroes in our city. “The VLAs are a little like Victoria’s Academy Awards for community leadership. We recognize individuals who inspire us all to do just a little more to build a more resilient, vibrant and healthy community”.
The Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award and the Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award are honorary awards and as such are not available for nominations from the public. All other awards categories are open for public nominations.
Nomination packages are available and may be completed online at www.leadershipvictoria.ca or directly from Leadership Victoria at Suite 306 – 620 View Street or by phone at 250-386-2269.
All nominations must be received by 4 pm, Wednesday, November 30th, 2011.
The awards will be presented on February 21, 2012 at a gala ceremony at the Fairmont Empress Hotel in downtown Victoria.
A full list of previous winners is available here.