Life Literacy Month and International Literacy Day
As the summer winds down and September approaches, almost everyone gets a "back-to-" feeling; not only do kids go back to school but work gets busier and a fresh feeling of starting over sets in. September is the perfect time for a fresh start – time to embrace learning and try something new, whether it be going back to school, upgrading your skills or learning a new activity.
September is Life Literacy Month and September 8th is International Literacy Day. Get involved and take the International Literacy Day Challenge. This year’s challenge focuses on literacy and essential skills for everyone, everywhere. Try out some of these activities to celebrate International Literacy Day – and continue to practice literacy and essential skills every day!
- Read a book to a child.
- Have a child read a book to an adult.
- Start a blog.
- Take a professional development course.
- Join a social media platform – Linked In, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Write a letter to an old friend – the snail mail way!
- Share this list with friends and coworkers – and dare them to take the challenge!
- Play a game of Scrabble
- Look up and learn a new word (and continue to do so every day for a month!)
- Use a new form of technology.
For more information, please contact: