Vital Conversation Digital Report
Rising Economy Conference panel discussion
You can delve into the Rising Economy Conference panel discussion in the video to your left and read a blog post summarizing the session here.
The panel took place on Thursday, November 17, 2022.
What are the top local opportunities for strengthening affordability?
Based on the Vital Conversations, below are some of the top local opportunities for strengthening affordability.
Foster collaboration and partnerships
• Convening and fostering partnerships
• Convening regular/frequent tables with diverse participants to cross pollinate ideas
• Bring together partners (policy makers, regulators, politicians, activists, students, providers, developers, researchers, investors, financiers) to develop shared strategy for affordability (housing, transportation, childcare, food security) using storytelling
• Regional alignment in approaches to housing by having everyone bring something to the table
• Support community initiatives/collaborations at government level (vs. Policy managing down)
• Funders to get involved in the program level to understand the roots of the issues
Identify, pool and leverage assets
• Mapping systems and providing system navigators (FTE) to spread sector resources
• Ensuring we’re appropriately marketing and communicating the issues, solutions, and opportunities
• Community skills inventory of assets “marketplace” concept
• Pooling resources and sharing services to support cross-sector leadership and governance training and development – free up resources
• Impact pooling – community assets, leverage capital to find more brick and mortar community hubs, land owners
Cultivate a culture shift and shared vision for affordability
• Shared values
• Cultural shift to support community wealth for good
• Expand our horizons
• Shared vision to start over and reset. Be bold and brave. Let the experts lead and replicate.
• Sharing/promotion of sharing collective community success stories
• Shared living: multi-family, multi-generational, re-zoning for carriage houses & renovations requires changing policies, cultural shift from large private homes to smaller shared spaces.
• Make it easier to establish shared living tenure.
Establish leadership and structures for innovation
• Developing centres of excellence.
• Build on what works, leverage innovation, replicate and upscale what works.
• Replicability of ideas and solutions.
• Focus on the solution.
Focus area/topic specific opportunities:
• Celebrating and incentivizing agriculture
• Integrated mobility and transportation systems regionally, e.g. Copenhagen
• Advocate for increased campus and military (workforce) housing, shared housing, etc.
• Training/support/shared upskilling services to help facilitate workforce needs (innovations, wage gaps, skills and knowledge etc. – all about leverage) across different sectors (developers, service providers, government)